The World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) and the Government of Georgia and the Georgian Mountain Resorts Development Company will organize the 3rd Euro-Asian Mountain Resorts Conference, in Tbilisi, Georgia (4 – 7 April 2017). Under the title “Innovative Strategies for Sustainable Mountain Tourism Development” international experts will discuss current and future challenges, illustrate success stories and create once again a platform for exchange of innovative initiatives.
Pursuant to the previous two editions of the Euro – Asian Mountain Resorts Conference held in Almaty (Kazakhstan) in 2013 and Ulsan (Republic of Korea) in 2015 respectively, and taking into consideration the context of the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, the 3rd Conference aims at:
- Identifying once again the current environmental, structural and market oriented challenges in mountain destinations and exploring the opportunities to maximize the economic potential and social change for the local communities through a sustainable mountain tourism development and management,
- Understanding the need to develop a “mountain tourism culture” for stimulating activities in these areas as well as encouraging entrepreneurs to invest in mountain tourism,
- Creating a platform among all the relevant partners for dialogue and to exchange experience and expertise as regards the mature mountain destinations of Western Europe and the new developments in East Europe and Asia,
- Exploring the current and future trends regarding the behavior patterns of the mountain visitors and the possibilities for attracting the niche markets through innovative products and experiences.
The focus of the Conference will be put on the following issues:
- The future of mountain tourism (market trends, challenges, seasonality, sustainability issues: e.g. climate change),
- Integrated land use, infrastructure and transport planning for mountain destinations, operational structures and models (PPPs),
- Investment policies, incentive models and instruments to attract investors and entrepreneurs, governance and regulation,
- Diversified products and experiences (e.g. sports events) to improve the competitive advantage,
- Innovative practices for marketing use of IT and smart devices, safety and security standards.
- National Tourism Administrations/Organizations;
- UNWTO Affiliate Members;
- Local authorities, municipalities and regional administrations in mountain areas;
- International and/ or regional associations/networks/NGOs with focus on mountain development;
- Mountain destination DMOs, regional DMOs;
- Cable car companies, ski resort developers and infrastructure providers;
- The hospitality industry;
- ICT providers;
- Academic institutions, scientists and experts related to mountain tourism research.
Would you like to receive regular updates on the Conference? Please contact Mr. Sascha Stange: [email protected]
Link to Programme and Speaker´s Biographies: http://www2.unwto.org/event/3rd-euro-asian-mountain-resorts-conference